Header Tabs

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Bredeles, The Little Alsatian Cookies


A family family tradition has been to bake Christmas cookies together.  It gives everyone a reason to get together prior to the holidays.  Each family will bring two or three of their favorite cookie recipes and then everyone gives a hand mixing the batter and baking.  Sampling is permitted.  We usually bake more than our appetites can sustain over the holidays…except for M&M cookies, which are my favorite.  

My wife and I decided to continue the tradition here in France with of course French Christmas cookies.  Her region of Alsace has a strong Christmas tradition that includes a wide variety of delicious cookies.  My wife's aunt was the queen of bredeles.  She set a high standard, baking a wide variety of cookies and quantities that you think could only be produced by a commercial bakery.  I had the opportunity to try her cookies a few years ago when I visited my wife’s family over Christmas.  Prior to returning to the U.S., my wife's aunt gave me a bag of her cookies that lasted no more than two days. 

Needlesstosay, I was stoked when my wife suggested that we bake bredeles.  My wife has a couple bredele cookbooks so we choose 9 different types of cookies to bake.  The cookbooks are in French with Alsatian names like Schkola Schpirale, Labkierchle Zengle, and Schwobebredle.  Fortunately, correct pronunciation was not a prerequisite to baking them.  We baked coconut, gingerbread, sugar, jelly, and other cookies.  It took us almost an entire day but we finished with a nice variety and plenty of cookies.  Now the best part begins…sharing and eating them!               

No comments:

Post a Comment